Meeting the Needs of Today’s Adult Learner
Providing career-relevant and high-value education that addresses the constantly shifting demands of the workplace.
The explosion in adult enrollments boomed in the 1990s and peaked in 2011. We have seen a marked decline since then. While some decline is expected, the adult higher education value proposition has come in question. But change is coming. According to the National Student Clearinghouse, undergraduate students who enrolled at age 25 or older have a 50% chance of completing a degree or other credential within six years, and the ratio is below 30% for part-time and mixed-mode adult students.
Recent years have also seen notable growth in degree alternatives, such as bootcamps and paid MOOCs, that speak directly to what the typical adult learner wants: career-relevant, flexible, and high-value education. Many of these providers are staking their reputation on getting jobs for their graduates—even promoting money-back guarantees—and the federal government is considering whether to open student aid to some of these non-traditional providers.
All this makes for a challenging environment for colleges and universities committed to the adult learner. The fact that many more schools are now upping recruitment of adult enrollments, seeking to offset demographic decline in traditional-age students in many parts of the country, means more colleges are chasing fewer adult prospects.
HOW WE HELP
Members of Eduventures for Higher Education Leaders benefit from our latest insights on adult demand, competition and innovation. We help you to:
- Assess your academic portfolio and new program ideas.
- Recruit and retain the right students.
- Create a differentiated in-person, blended or online experience.
- Build sustainable operations and evaluate external partnerships.
- Create a technology roadmap for the lifecycle of an adult student.
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
- Adult Learners – What They Want and Where Schools are Missing the Mark
- OPM Market Overview—Size, Segmentation, Dynamics & Growth
- Enrollment Trends—Mapping Areas of Growth and Decline for Schools of Education
- *Key Insights from the Graduate Survey of Admitted Students for Schools of Education
- *Quality Matters Partnership Survey
- *2017 Prospective Adult Learner Survey
- *Deconstructing CBE: Portraits in Implementation
- Online Program Management Market Analysis 2016
WHO WE SERVE
Eduventures continues to build its extensive library of research focused on issues and innovations in enrollment management of both traditional and adult learners. This research is relevant to:
- Provosts and other academic leaders
- Vice Presidents and Directors of Adult, Online and Continuing Education Programs
- IT leaders responsible for selecting and implementing supporting technologies